BODEGA BAY CIOPPINO
"This stew brings back childhood memories of Northern California and new buckets brimming with crab and baskets of sourdough bread. Rich, red, and very messy, it is now a New Years tradition at my house. Serve in large bowls with sourdough bread on the side. Never any leftovers!"
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or to taste
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound scallops
- 24 littleneck clams
- 1 1/2 pounds crab legs
- 1 pound unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
- Heat olive oil in a very large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until soft, stirring frequently. Pour in tomatoes and white wine, then season with parsley, basil, salt, pepper and the bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until liquid is reduced almost completely, about 1 hour.
- Add clams, scallops, clams, crab legs and shrimp to the pot. Cover, and cook over medium heat until clams open. Scoop portions into large bowls to serve.